Down 4-2 with under two minutes left, the Penguins pulled goaltender Brad Thiessen for the extra attacker. And did it ever pay off. The WBS Penguins stormed back with two goals 46 seconds apart to send a 4-4 game into overtime and eventually a shootout.
The complete turnaround fell short in the shootout though, as Ales Kotalik beat Thiessen and everyone else was stopped. The WBS Penguins did pick up another point though and still sit six points ahead of the second place Hershey Bears with three games in hand.
Quick recap after the jump.
- Down 1-0 after an early goal by the Heat, Ryan Craig answered on the power play for his 17th of the season to tie it at 1.
- Joe Vitale knotted it at 2 with another goal set up by Andrew Hutchinson.
- Down two goals late, Brett Sterling beat the goalie with a tough angle shot with 1:24 left.
- Hutchinson tied the game at 4 just 46 seconds later and stunned everyone who witnessed the comeback.
- Ben Street, Keven Veilleux, Sterling, Hutchinson and Bryan Lerg were all unsuccessful in the shootout and Pens lose 5-4