I've been working on a new design for this blog to make it a little more interesting for readers. I'll still be making some minor changes in preparation for next season, but this is what the new blog will look like. I would like to use this post to open up the floor for feedback on the design and also any questions you might have relative to Penguins hockey.
After the jump, a look at 5 things you (the reader) can do to fully optimize and enjoy your reading of the Highland Park Hockey Blog: Covering the Pittsburgh Penguins organization with a focus on the AHL's Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins - future stars of the NHL.
I've also decided to run a little contest for those who have a Twitter account. Details inside!
5. Comment. If after reading a story or while following a game thread you don't understand something (i.e. a possible error in story, understanding of a hockey rule, play, term, etc.) speak up! If I'm not around (which isn't often) someone else reading may either have the same question or they might know the answer to yours. The comments section is for you, the reader, to express your opinions of the article in general and your stance on the player, game, issue, etc. You can always email the blog at email@example.com with any questions, comments. etc. as well. Which brings me to my next point...
4. Join a Game Thread. The blog will have an open game thread for each and every Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins game, both home and away. Can't make it to the arena for the game or travel to wherever the Pens are playing? No problem, you can catch all the action right here in the game threads. I usually go to most games, but I also update the games live both here and on Twitter (which we'll talk about later) while I'm at the game. Some of the road games are simply too far away and too expensive for me to attend. That being said I still watch those games via AHL Live from home and bring readers updates throughout.
3. Follow Highland Park Hockey on FaceBook. Follow Highland Park Hockey's page on FaceBook and suggest it to others you think would enjoy reading the blog. I try to update the blog's page as soon as I post every update. If you're online more times than not you will know about my posts as soon as they are published by following the FaceBook page. If you like a story you read here, simply "like" it on FaceBook to let other users know that it was worthwhile.
2. Follow Highland Park Hockey on Twitter. If you're not on Facebook, you might have have a different social media tool, such as Twitter. I tend to use Twitter a lot more for posting in-game updates and news snippets that frankly aren't lengthy enough to be their own stories. Following the blog's Twitter feed, and suggesting others to follow, not only lets you know when there's something new on the blog, it also allows you to get the "inside scoop" on breaking news before it happens and gives you up to the minute insights on every Penguins game. Same thing goes for liking a story on the Twitter side. If you really enjoyed reading an article, then "retweet" it on your Twitter feed for your followers to read as well.
1. Google. Don't have an account on a social networking site? I strongly suggest doing so but if you, for whatever reason, don't like that sort of thing you can still follow the blog and share it with others via the Google. Simply log into your Google account and you can follow the blog on your Google Reader.
I hope you've found this information useful and maybe even learned a thing or two if you've been reading since the blog's inception in March. I will most likely re-post this at some point before the start of the season to keep everyone on the same page.
The Contest for WBS Penguins Memorabilia
This weekend only and for those on Twitter, retweet this story's post and give the blog @H_P_Hockey a shoutout (either a #FF on Friday or just a shoutout to your followers on Saturday and Sunday) and you're entered to win some WBS Penguins memorabilia.
If you aren't on Twitter it's very easy to set up an account. Just add the blog to your followers and do the above steps to get entered. I'll announce the winner(s) on Monday. The more people that enter, the more winners there will be.