The WBS Penguins Season Comes to Abrupt End

Saturday, May 7, 2011
This picture pretty much sums up the final game of the 2010-11 season.
The theme of the playoffs this season has definitely been that no lead is safe. The Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins and their fans learned this the hard way tonight. After two 2nd period goals from Ryan Craig and Corey Potter and an early 3rd period shorthanded goal from Joe Vitale, a 3-0 lead in Game 6 seemed just that, safe.

A Chris Terry snipe made it 3-1 with 12:36 to go. After the Pens missed out on a power play chance, Brett Sutter made it a one goal game with 9:20 left. Just 30 seconds later and on the very next shift, Chris Terry got his 2nd of the night and tied the game at 3.  Zac Dalpe, who I thought was rather quiet this series, completed the Checkers comeback and stunned the Mohegan Sun Arena crowd with 3:18 remaining. Four unanswered third period goals in a span of nine minutes and 18 seconds brought to an end the 2010-2011 Penguins season. A tough way to end the season, but what's done is done and all that can be done is to begin to get ready and look forward to 2011-2012.

A tough time for Penguins nation no doubt, but I won't be joining the pity party. Tomorrow morning I fly out to Orlando, Florida for a week away after finishing school at Penn State University. I won't be posting much for the week but here's what I plan on doing:
A brief look at who will be back and who is set to become free agents, and I will start with a player-by-player season review with how each guy did this season.  Plan on the team makeup article tomorrow and the first player review (Robert Bortuzzo) on Wednesday.
After that I will try to get a new player's review up every other day or so until next Sunday when I get back from Florida. But once I'm back I will really get into dissecting the players on the team and who and what to look forward to next season.

Thanks to all of those who have been reading and I hope I'm doing all the right things. Continue to spread the word about Highland Park Hockey and as always, let's go Penguins!

0 comments:

Post a Comment