Black & Gold Game Recap/Insights

Monday, September 19, 2011
While most of the eyes in tonight's crowd were on guys like Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal, and understandably so, I paid closer attention to the players on the bubble.

Guys like Nick Johnson and Eric Tangradi didn't really show me too much tonight. While guys like Jason Williams and Richard Park played well and are making their case to crack the NHL lineup. But I'd have to say the two guys that impressed me the most at tonight's Black & Gold game were Simon Despres and Geoff Walker.

Despres didn't look out of place most of the night. He seemed confident in his decisions to carry the puck into the zone and his outlet passes were great too. While I don't see him making the NHL club straight out of camp, Despres should play some valuable minutes in the AHL this season and could become an NHL defenseman in the very near future.

Walker, outside of the Wilkes-Barre Penguins nation, is relatively unknown. But his performance tonight definitely turned some heads. He was a force on the fore check and set up the Gold team's third goal.

Due to some technical issues I wasn't able to live tweet after the first period and I apologize. I'm hoping to figure out what went wrong and fix it so that Penguins fans can get updates on the WBS Penguins games all season long, both home and away.

I will post up pictures I took of the event tomorrow sometime. Any questions or comments about tonight's game? Leave 'em below and I'll answer any questions you might have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment