After trailing 2-0, the Penguins got to their game and completed a come from behind 3-2 victory over the last place Binghamton Senators this afternoon. Goaltender Scott Munroe got his 100th career AHL win with the victory.
First reaction to this game is that the Petersen-Street-Walker line is back to being what it was earlier in the month: a very active and creative line that has been putting goals in the back of the net. The three compliment each other very well and bring something different to the ice every shift.
The Penguins were out worked and out played in the first period, as the Senators took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission on goals by Mark Parrish and Wacey Hamilton.
Luckily the Pens woke up in time for the second period, tying the game via Ben Street's team leading 24th and 25th goals of the season. Brandon DeFazio and Jack Downing dropped the mitts and had a spirited battle late in the period. Both guys landed some good shots.
Geoff Walker played hero with the game winning goal in the third period today. Brian Strait's shot from the point didn't beat Lehner but in the scramble that followed Walker was able to dig a puck out of the scrum in front of the net and beat a diving Lehner with 7:32 left in the game to complete the three goal comeback.
- Scott Munroe got his second start in as many days against Robin Lehner.
- Jason Williams missed his second game in a row, tending to a personal matter. There was speculation by others that he was being recalled to Pittsburgh but this is simply not the case.
- Cody Wild returned to the lineup, taking Carl Sneep's spot on the blue line.
- Joey Mormina is still day to day with what the team has listed this weekend as an illness.
- Steve MacIntyre still has one more game left to serve on his four game suspension
- Here's what the lines looked like today:
Colin McDonald - Bryan Lerg - Cal O'Reilly
Nick Petersen - Ben Street - Geoff Walker
Brandon DeFazio - Zach Sill - Ryan Craig/Brian Gibbons
Paul Thompson - Matt Rust - Ryan Craig/Brian Gibbons
Robert Bortuzzo - Brian Strait
Alexandre Picard - Simon Despres
Alex Grant - Cody Wild