Providence Stuns Penguins in OT, Series Evened 2-2

Friday, May 16, 2014
Tough overtime loss in Game Four for the Penguins tonight. Series is now tied 2-2.

On what will probably go down as one of the most controversial plays in the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs, Cory Kane jarred loose a puck that appeared to be covered by Peter Mannino 6:31 into overtime and Kane's goal evened the series between the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Providence Bruins at two games apiece, with tomorrow's Game Five putting the winner one game away from the Eastern Conference Finals against the St. John's IceCaps.

The goal was hotly contested by a furious Mannino, who gestured that his pads were pushed into the net after he had seemingly covered the loose puck at the post. Penguins head coach John Hynes was also irate with the call, but the goal stands and the series becomes a best-of-three.

The overtime was forced after Craig Cunningham scored with 0.6 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 2-2. A very tough loss for the Penguins, who look to rebound tomorrow night in Providence in Game Five.

The PBruins came out with the edge in play to start Game Four and took a 1-0 lead 3:11 into the contest after Seth Griffith was given time and space at the blueline between his defensemen. Griffith walked into the slot and fired a shot past a screened Peter Mannino to put the PBruins in front.

The Penguins came out and dominated the 2nd period and if it weren't for Malcolm Subban, the game would've gotten out of hand. The Pens outshot the Bruins 18-4 in the middle frame and tied the game at 1-1 13:16 into the period. You had a feeling the goal was coming, especially since a majority of the period was spent in the PBruins defensive zone.

Harry Zolnierczyk won a race to a loose puck behind the Providence net and Chuck Kobasew came in and got a puck to the point to Reid McNeill, whose slap shot from the point beat a screened Subban and evened the score at one apiece.

For how shaky Subban looked in the PBruins net to start the game, the rookie goaltender single handedly kept his team in the game in the 2nd.

A huge momentum swing in the third period broke the 1-1 tie. With 17:15 left in regulation, the PBruins appeared to have scored to take the lead but the play was whistled before they scored because a WBS defender covered the puck in the crease. The PBruins were awarded a penalty shot.

Nick Johnson came in on Mannino and was stopped to keep the game tied at 1-1. Moments later, a great individual effort by Conor Sheary put the Penguins in front 2-1.

Sheary got a pass from Zlobin and pushed it off the boards and beat the defender to the puck and streaked in 2-on-1 with Zlobin and chose to shoot. He made the right decision as he roofed one past Subban's glove 4:01 into the third to put the Pens in front.

But Providence would not go away quietly into the night. They pushed for an equalizer and with the extra attacker on the ice, Craig Cunningham beat Mannino with 0.6 left to send Game Four to overtime, before the controversial overtime goal from Kane evened the series at 2-2.


Peter Mannino got the start in net for the Penguins, with Matt Murray backing him up. Goalie change for Providence as rookie Malcolm Subban got the start for the PBruins instead of Niklas Svedberg.

Brian Gibbons returned to the WBS lineup, having been re-assigned by Pittsburgh. Spencer Machacek sat out to make room for Gibbons.

Scott Harrington returned to the WBS defense after missing Game Three with a lower body injury. Harrison Ruopp was scratched to make room for Harrington.


Sheary - Gibbons - Kobasew
Zolnierczyk - Megna - Zlobin
Payerl - Drazenovic - Kostopoulos
Uher - Sill - Farnham

McNeill - Despres
Dumoulin - Mikkelson
Harrington - Goers


Post a Comment