Flyers Sign McDonald to Two-Year Extension

Sunday, February 28, 2016
The Flyers signed Colin McDonald for two more years. Photo: Nina Weiss/The Home News
With the NHL's trading deadline approaching on Monday, the Philadelphia Flyers made their first transaction on Saturday by signing forward Colin McDonald to a two-year contract extension. Per TSN's Bob McKenzie, the two-year, two-way contract carries an NHL cap hit of $637,500 with a salary of $625k/$350k in the first year and $650k/$350k in year two of the deal.

"At this point in my career you just don’t know when your last year is going to be," the Lehigh Valley Phantoms' captain said after Saturday night's loss to Utica. "They approached us about a week ago and I think I have been pretty open about how happy I have been here. Everything from the Flyers to the organization here it’s top notch. I was excited to get an opportunity to play for this organization last summer, and it has lived up to my expectations and even more so."

With the Phantoms this season, McDonald has 21 points (11 goals, 10 assists) in 34 games in addition to five games in the NHL with the Flyers this season where he tallied one goal and added seven penalty minutes. In total, McDonald brings 145 NHL games of experience (19 goals, 25 assists) to the table. If he doesn't make the Flyers roster out of training camp next season the Phantoms will retain their captain.


"I’m really happy that they were able to do it in this point in the year," McDonald said of not having to worry this summer about where he would be playing next year. "I think it’s good for both sides and I’m just very happy and very thankful."

0 comments:

Post a Comment