Rosehill Still Has Plenty To Offer Phantoms

Thursday, February 25, 2016
Jay Rosehill has been limited to just 14 games so far this season with the Phantoms.
It's been a bit of a rough season for Jay Rosehill. Between being the odd man out because of the Lehigh Valley Phantoms' issues with having too many veterans on the roster and an injury suffered in practice a few weeks ago, the 11-year pro has appeared in just 14 games this season. Before appearing in two games this past weekend, he hadn't played since December 27th.

While those outside of the situation - those who don't see what Rosehill does off the ice and in the locker room - might think the rugged forward is simply wasting away and not valuable to the team, that sentiment couldn't be any less true. In fact, Rosehill is using his experience and understanding of how the league works to instill attributes into the younger grinder-types on the roster. If nothing else, Rosehill is a guy who has been there before and can relay the message to the younger players about what it takes to survive in a bottom-six role.

Upon Rosehill's insertion back onto the Phantoms' fourth line, it was clearly evident that Tyrell Goulbourne played with a spark over the weekend. Goulbourne himself admitted he was not playing his own game and that Rosehill is at least part of, if not one of the biggest reasons, why he's getting back on track heading down the stretch. The younger guys lean to Rosehill for advice for a lot more than just fighting style/techniques, but for tips about bigger picture items such as understanding the bottom-six role and embracing it.

Rosehill talked about his lengthy absence from the lineup, wanting to play down the stretch to help the Phantoms' playoff push, refining his game to adapt to how hockey is played nowadays and more in an exclusive 1-on-1 interview with The Home News. After the jump, the transcribed interview with Rosehill.

Rosehill on getting back in the Phantoms' lineup in two games last weekend:
It was nice to get some games in for sure. All I could really do when sitting out is be patient and try and stay ready. I've been working with Riley working on the hands and the possession and skating too so I when I did get that chance I'd be ready. I felt pretty good out there. I was happy to get into a couple games there and try to help out.
Rosehill on wanting to play down the stretch:
Every game is big for us right now and it's a fun time of year to be playing. We want nothing more than to slide into a playoff spot so to have the opportunity to play doing that makes it that much more exciting. Whatever happens from here on out I have to have the same mentality.
Rosehill on refining his game to adapt to the new game:
You have to watch what you do a little more. The rest will be looking for me baby I can't get away with as much as somebody else so you have to adjust that line and know where it is so you don't cross it. That's one aspect. Trying to work on your trying to work on your puck possession, hold on to the puck, make sure you're not making turnovers and play in their end is huge for me.
Last year I got a chance to play in the penalty kill so that was big for me to get my game to that. You stay in the game and keep your legs and be on the ice more in games like those that are full of penalties and that's going to happen a lot more than it used to. Then this year just taking what I get and use whatever comes my way to my advantage.
Rosehill on if he's playing with a chip on his shoulder:
You want to do well for lots of reasons but you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself or do something out of the ordinary. You don't have to prove everything in one shift. I tried to avoid that and I think I did a good job of just taking it one shift at a time and taking it as it is. But definitely you take your opportunity and grasp it and try to make it the most of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment