|The Flyers' prospects took part in a 3-on-3 tournament this afternoon in Voorhees, NJ. Photo: Nina Weiss|
Then, they'll come back to the Flyers Skate Zone for training camp in mid-September.
Between now and then, I'll be delving into the numerous interviews I conducted over the weekend at camp featuring many guys who will be key contributors on the Lehigh Valley Phantoms this fall - guys like defensemen Sam Morin, Robert Hagg, Travis Sanheim, forwards Cole Bardreau, Tyrell Goulbourne, Danick Martel and goaltender Alex Lyon.
After the jump, the latest on the projected Phantoms' roster after the Flyers signed two forwards today.
What do Flyers' Latest Signings Mean for Lehigh Valley?
The Flyers today signed forward Roman Lyubinov, 24, to a one-year entry level contract that carries a $925,000 cap hit at the NHL level. The 6-2, 207 pound forward projects to a two-way forward that can play in the Flyers' bottom-six but also has the ability to chip in offensively as well. Lyubinov tallied seven goals and seven assists in 52 KHL games with CSKA Moskva this past season.
The Flyers avoided salary arbitration with restricted free agent forward Jordan Weal, re-signing him to a one-year, two-way contract with $650,000 at the NHL level. Weal would have to clear waivers to be reassigned to the AHL with Lehigh Valley, but after having sat as a healthy scratch most of last season it's not out of the question that Weal could slip through waivers unclaimed.
Essentially what it means for the Phantoms is that two players that may not have began the upcoming season in the AHL will now be able to. Including the newly signed Lyubinov and Weal and not including restricted free agent forwards Brayden Schenn and Nick Cousins, the Flyers have 13 forwards already signed at the NHL level for next season. If/when Schenn and Cousins re-sign, the Flyers will have to send two forwards to the AHL.
Current Projected Rosters
Philadelphia Flyers (NHL)
Forwards (14): Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek, Brayden Schenn (RFA), Sean Couturier, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Read, Dale Weise, Michael Raffl, Boyd Gordon, Roman Lyubinov, Scott Laughton, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Chris VandeVelde and Nick Cousins
Defensemen (8): Mark Streit, Andrew MacDonald, Michael Del Zotto, Radko Gudas, Nick Schultz, Shayne Gostisbehere, Ivan Provorov and Brandon Manning (RFA)
Goaltenders (2): Steve Mason and Michal Neuvirth
- The Flyers still have some decisions to make here. Is Ivan Provorov going to make the team and force yet another veteran defenseman to the AHL?
- Who will be the last man out up front? Remember, Schenn will sit out the Flyers' first three games to serve his suspension from the playoffs series against Washington in the spring.
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL)
Forwards (14): Taylor Leier, Andy Miele (Veteran), Chris Conner (Veteran), Greg Carey, Mark Zengerle (AHL), Jordan Weal, Danick Martel, Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Cole Bardreau, Colin McDonald (Veteran), Petr Straka (RFA), Steven Swavely (AHL), Tyrell Goulbourne and Radel Fazleev
Defensemen (9): T.J. Brennan (Veteran), Will O'Neill (Veteran Tweener (between 260 and 320GP pro), Mark Alt, Sam Morin, Robert Hagg, Travis Sanheim, Reece Willcox, Jesper Pettersson and Max Lamarche (AHL)
Goaltenders (3): Anthony Stolarz, Alex Lyon and Martin Ouellette (AHL)
- Several players on the AHL roster will need to clear waivers to play in Lehigh Valley this fall, including defenseman T.J. Brennan, Will O'Neill, Mark Alt an forwards Andy Miele, Chris Conner, Jordan Weal and Colin McDonald.
- There's also the AHLs veteran rule to keep an eye on. AHL clubs can only dress five skaters with more than 320 pro games played entering the 2016-17 season and an additional veteran who has played between 260 and 320 pro games entering the year. Below are the current 'veterans' on the Phantoms' roster:
- Defensemen T.J. Brennan (496GP) and Will O'Neill (280GP) and forwards Chris Conner (651GP), Colin McDonald (645GP) and Andy Miele (370GP)
- The roster is looking good on paper, but how that will translate on the ice remains to be seen. Fans in the Lehigh Valley can recall last season's opening night lineup didn't look too bad on paper either.
Opening Night Lineup 10/10/15
Taylor Leier - Tim Brent (A) - Aaron Palushaj
Danick Martel - Nick Cousins - Colin McDonald (C)
Petr Straka - Cole Bardreau - Chris Conner
Tyrell Goulbourne - Pavel Padakin - Michael Parks
Shayne Gostisbehere - Andrew MacDonald
Sam Morin - Davis Drewiske (A)
Robert Hagg - Mark Alt
Jason LaBarbera - Anthony Stolarz
Phantoms Projected Opening Night Lineup 2016
Taylor Leier - Andy Miele - Chris Conner
Greg Carey - Jordan Weal - Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Danick Martel - Mark Zengerle - Petr Straka
Tyrell Goulbourne - Cole Bardreau - Colin McDonald
Sam Morin - Mark Alt
T.J. Brennan - Robert Hagg
Travis Sanheim - Will O'Neill
Anthony Stolarz - Alex Lyon