WBS Wednesday Practice Update 4/6/11

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins took to the ice around 10 a.m. for practice and there were a lot of bodies on the ice. Other than Tim Wallace, all of the guys who have been out of the lineup returned.

The biggest news that was reported by me earlier in the morning is that the WBS Penguins have added forward Andy Bathgate and defensman Reid McNeill, both Penguins draft picks in 2009 and 2010 respectively. Both stayed after practice with Steve Wagner and Ryan Schnell for some extra work.



Reid McNeill wore #5 today in practice
Andy Bathgate wore #23 today in practice.

I talked to Zach Sill before practice and asked him how he was doing and he said he was feeling good. I could see him wincing every once in awhile and after talking with Scott Stuccio, found out that it was Sill's knee that slammed into the boards Sunday in Syracuse. Ouch! Luckily for Sill, I was told he hit it directly on the knee cap and didn't damage anything. When I asked Sill if he would be ready this weekend he said, "for sure."

I also got a chance to chat with Joe Vitale at the Coal Street rink this afternoon. I asked him how he was doing and he said that this week will give him a chance to "get his legs back." He told me he would be back in the lineup on Friday, which is great news.

I confirmed that with coach John Hynes after practice and the head coach had a few things to say about newcomers Paul Thompson and Victor Ekbom. He told me he's liked what he has seen from both of them. He acknowledged his three points in three games and added that both Thompson and Ekbom are more mature players than the other kids they've brought in such as Rogalski, McNeil and Bathgate.

Hynes also told me that Joey Mormina should be ready to go on Friday as well which could mean that Jason DeSantis will be headed back to Wheeling to help the Nailers in the playoffs.

I will be going back for Penguins practice tomorrow and will hopefully get some more information about who may be returning to the lineup. Also tune back to the blog around 3 p.m. EST as the AHL will announce the coach of the year award.

0 comments:

Post a Comment